
Having two boys of my own has brought back a lot of memories. Last night I watched Ethan jumping and cheering for Caleb as he "knocked out" his opponent while playing boxing on the WII game system. Their closeness and love for one another made me think back...
I grew up with one sibling, my brother Dwayne, who happens to be nearly three years younger than myself. We never fought a whole lot. Of course, that may have been because I had an unfair advantage in size and strength while we were young. However, each year around the holidays, as my extended family loves to retell stories of years and decades ago, we are reminded of episodes claiming I was actually mean to Dwayne. I simply can’t imagine that!!
The ability to get along with my younger brother paid off because during his last two years of high school I seriously thought we were witnessing the second coming of Arnold Schwarzenegger. He was a serious athlete dedicated to rigorous workouts, including weightlifting, that made me think there was a possibility he could go pro at any of the three sports in which he was voted team captain: baseball, basketball, and football.
I was away at college for the majority of his storied high school athletic career. When I returned, I was able to enjoy watching nearly every game of his senior year. Not only was he bigger and stronger than most of his opponents, he also played with more tenacity, intensity, and yes, sometimes even nastiness (no, he didn’t learn that from me). His contribution was crucial to the success of his teams, and I enjoyed cheering them on.
It turned out he took the direction of playing football at the University of Georgetown. However, after a couple of years, he made a decision to stop playing football in favor of dedicating his time and energy to his studies. It was a great decision, and has opened up many opportunities in his life. If I sound proud of him, it's because I am. Not only is he an intelligent guy, but he’s also accomplished in his chosen profession. But beyond all of that, I love him because of bonds that were created years (sounds better than decades) ago. And even though we don’t get to talk as often as we’d like, I still think of him often and pray for him.
Why the nostalgia? As I mentioned above, I have two boys of my own now. They are only 19 months apart. So hopefully, Caleb won’t be able to bully Ethan around like I’m told I did to my younger brother (Dwayne, don’t believe ALL the stories). I watch them play together, laugh together, and yes, even hit and kick each other on occasion (I’ll have to put them in MMA classes so they can learn proper technique).
While they are young, I want them to create memories that will last for a lifetime, learn to respect each other even when they disagree, encourage each other to succeed, and ALWAYS have each other’s back. I want them to think back to their early years with a huge smile on their face, and tell their stories to the next generations of Drexlers.
As they get a little older and begin pursuing activities that interest them, I hope they cheer each other on. I hope they help each other to become the best they can be. I hope they’re able to pursue their passions and become successful in their chosen fields. But above all, I want them to enjoy the experience of forging a brotherly bond with each other. It’s something that can never be broken.
No comments:
Post a Comment